Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Sunny Day

The other night all the kids were over. When it came time for the Phillip unit to go home, Lizy asked James if he would like to stay with us overnight, to which he promptly said yes - a departure from recent trends. Shortly thereafter the question arose as to where he would like to sleep; with Becky in her bed, in Sid's bed, or ,Becky suggested, with granddaddy Bruce in Becky's bed. To my surprise he immediately responded affirmatively to the last suggestion.



While we have kisses and hugs and such, granddaddy has not been the warmest spot in the room over time. Granddaddy dishes out more discipline than Ice cream and Grandmother is just hard to beat for tolerance and attention.

Anyway, he was obviously fading fast, so we promptly went upstairs and hopped in bed. I put a hand on him, just so he would know I was there, he reached back and gave me a few pats and was gone to the world.

Next morning when I awoke I rolled over to check on my charge. There he was wide awake, completely still and staring at me. Before I could say anything, he announced in a very monotone flat manner, "It's a sunny day", which indeed it was.

I just wanted to let those of you who may have felt a bit burdened of late by my emotional neediness, that you now have some relief. I think I have a new friend.